Syria, Katz denies US envoy: “We warned Washington of attack on air base”

Follow us on

Milan, Aug. 22 (LaPresse) – Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz has contradicted statements by US envoy to Syria Tom Barrack, according to whom there had been no advance warning from Israel regarding the attack it carried out this week on the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria. In a statement, Katz said that Israel decided to warn senior Syrian government officials and “at the same time we transmitted the intelligence reports to the relevant authorities in the United States.” Israel usually closely coordinates its military actions with the United States, its main supporter. Washington has sought to use this influence to moderate attacks as Israel conducts operations in Syria, Gaza and Lebanon. Tom Barrack, who also serves as ambassador to Turkey, said that Tuesday’s attack on the Abu Duhur base may have been an attempt by Israel to “provoke the Turks” and that “this is the serious and concerning part.” The day after the attack, which caused damage but no casualties, the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the base had been attacked because Syria was “on the verge of violating” an agreement by allowing Turkish troops to deploy in that area.

Milan, Aug. 22 (LaPresse) – Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz has contradicted statements by US envoy to Syria Tom Barrack, according to whom there had been no advance warning from Israel regarding the attack it carried out this week on the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria. In a statement, Katz said that Israel decided to warn senior Syrian government officials and “at the same time we transmitted the intelligence reports to the relevant authorities in the United States.” Israel usually closely coordinates its military actions with the United States, its main supporter. Washington has sought to use this influence to moderate attacks as Israel conducts operations in Syria, Gaza and Lebanon. Tom Barrack, who also serves as ambassador to Turkey, said that Tuesday’s attack on the Abu Duhur base may have been an attempt by Israel to “provoke the Turks” and that “this is the serious and concerning part.” The day after the attack, which caused damage but no casualties, the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the base had been attacked because Syria was “on the verge of violating” an agreement by allowing Turkish troops to deploy in that area.

© All rights reserved